Gateway Technical College Hosts K-12 Event Focusing on Precision MeasuringNovember 29, 2021
Work Truck Industry Welder Certification Program AnnouncedDecember 13, 2021
Lumina Foundation and the National Coalition of Certification Centers (NC3) are proud to announce its collaboration on a project for the expansion of NC3 Centers of Excellence vision. The project supports Lumina’s goal of ensuring equity and access to populations of color populations by providing high-quality training for instructors and awarding quality, industry-recognized credentials.
Participants in the project include educational partners Gateway Technical College, Lawson State Community College, and Pima Community College, and industry partner Snap-on Tool Corporation will be working with all three locations. These pilot locations reflect geographic and demographic diversity including a current and emerging Hispanic Serving Institution, and Historically Black Colleges. This has provided the opportunity to capture valuable insight on the diversity of student populations so we can develop strategies to expand access and completion for underrepresented student populations. Each of the participating institutions has strengths in working with students of color and this project aims to highlight practices that have or are currently working to meet their needs.
We are excited about this groundbreaking work, and how it will contribute to the core principles of Lumina’s Equity- First approach which seeks to (A) eliminate widening post-secondary attainment gaps for Native American, Black, and Hispanic and Latino students, (B) create opportunities for sharing of resources that will empower students to succeed, and (C) focus on institutional accountability rather than student deficits.
Through this grant, NC3 and its partners are:
- Embedding industry recognized certifications in career pathways that provide individuals an opportunity to earn certifications and see the opportunities to continue in credit-based programs.
- Increasing the number of industry-recognized certifications awarded and identifying strategies for the expansion of Centers of Excellence vision. As of January 2020, NC3 has already supported over 141,555 students and granted 255,000 students’ certifications.
- Expanding a model of quantitative as well as qualitative data collection and analysis to support continued expansion.
- Disseminating knowledge from key stakeholders regarding the perceived value of industry-recognized certifications and the design of a Center of Excellence.
- Providing valuable information on the diversity of student populations and strategies that will inform the development of new strategies to expand access and completion.
It is NC3’s and its partners’ hope, and plan, that the efforts of this team will be expanded to its global partners.
NC3, Gateway Technical College, Pima Community College, Lawson State Community College, and Snap-On Tools appreciate the confidence and support of Lumina Foundation.
For additional information about this project, please contact Spencer Murray.